It’s World TB Day. Some links for you:
- The current situation with the spread of multi-drug resistant (MDR) TB is alarming. The best prevention for tuberculosis is finding and successfully treating patients. We urgently need to improve case finding, diagnosis, and treatment. How can you help? Put pressure on your government to restore funding to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.
- This year’s StopTB campaign is “Stop TB in my lifetime”. And they have an interactive website where you can make your own posters with a message, etc. (Considering that Mycobacterium tuberculosis can persist as a latent (dormant) infection for decades, I’m skeptical about whether this is a realistic timeframe. But we could certainly drastically reduce TB cases in my lifetime.)
- MSF (Doctors Without Borders) produced some wonderful infographics about the effects of TB, treating TB, and the history of TB.
- Take a look at MSF’s TB & Me blogs, which are written by patients suffering from MDR-TB.
- And I posted some information about TB last year which is still worth a look.